There are many benefits of adding coconut oil to your dog’s diet.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Although this is based on anecdotal evidence, some of the benefits to giving your dog a NON-HYDROGENATED coconut oil are:
- Improves energy levels and mental sharpness
- Aids in arthritis and ligament issues
- Can help in the reduction of allergy symptoms
- Can be used on topical wounds, bites, stings and to fight ear infections for quick recovery
- Can be used for paw protection and skin softening
- Promotes healthy, shiny coats
- Coconut oil has a strong deodorizing effect – imagine… no more stinky fido!
It is best to start off slowly when introducing this to your dog’s diet. For small dogs start with ¼ teaspoon and for large dogs 1 teaspoon.
Slowly build up to 1 tablespoon per 30lbs of body weight daily.
You can even add it into your home-baked dog cookies. See recipe below:
½ cup of all-natural peanut butter
¼ cup of honey
1 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil (non-hydrogenated)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and chicken broth. In a separate bowl, combine flours and oatmeal. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Place dough on flour dusted surface. Roll or press dough out to about 1/4” inch thick. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Roll out leftover scraps and cut out as many as possible. Put cut out cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.